As a parent I have long been worried about the hot fireplace gas when
the fireplace is on. They make guards but few use these as they take away from the enjoyment of watching the rolling fire.
As a caregiver I have chosen to not use the fireplace when children are present. This pretty much ensures the safety of everyone. Its the law to make sure that no harm comes to children. This being said, homeowners are sometimes very unaware of just how hot the glass becomes.
New laws are being created and will take place in January of 2015 that will put a screen, gate, or protective panel barrier in front of all new fireplaces. This leaves the eleven million households with older fireplaces as a risk for burns. Caution must be used to make sure that the screens or other protective devise is approved for your particular fireplace or you may still have a risk of burns or a fireplace that no longer operates as it was intended.
Will these new features still cause a burn? They may if a hand is placed upon the barrier for any period of time. The bottom line is that as a parent or a family with young house guests that you make sure to remind and supervise all little persons who would be curious about the fireplace.
Some extra tips to ensure safety might be to:
– read the owners manual or check with a licensed dealer to make sure your fireplace is safe
– Check the surrounding frames and such on the fireplace, these too can be burn hazards
– ALWAYS supervise children, the elderly and pets while using your fireplace and remember that it takes a good while before these are cool to the touch.
– Make sure remotes or switches are out of children’s reach
– Consider adding a lock over switches that are in children’s reach
– Remind all guests that fireplace glass and surrounds can be hot enough to burn
– Lastly – have your fireplace serviced regularly to ensure it is operating properly and to ensure that no new laws have made it a dangerous item in your home.